Thursday, January 10, 2008

Clothes! Glorious Clothes!

With one week of rehearsals done, and less than a week to go before opening night of Hell's Belles, we had our costume fitting today. It was at the prestigious Starrett-Lehigh Building on 26th and 12th Avenue. I'd never been there before, and boy, was it posh! Executives and designers bustled about while delivery men and women moved shipments in and out. There was this great sense of "chic" that simply oozed out onto the sidewalk. :)

Once inside, I headed to the 3rd floor to Costume Collections where row upon row of costumes greeted me. Gorgeous stuff! I was in heaven! Then I met up with our costume designer, Gail Cooper-Hecht. She is a marvelously refined lady with a great sense of style and humor. I LOVE her vision of this show! Its so incredibly unique and we had a blast trying on all of the costumes that will clothe these famous women I get to play. My favorite was Judy Garland's "Get Happy" look from the movie Summer Stock. To put on that tuxedo jacket and jaunty black hat... well... all I could say was, "Wow!"

When you read a script (or any material for that matter), you get your own ideas about how something should look, but then a master or mistress designer takes the material into their hands, and that's when the magic happens! I noticed that earlier in the week when we first started rehearsing in the theatre. The set designer had begun to transform the space into... well, Hell! :) And it set the mood for sure! Then you add the music and the players and the lights and costumes and the audience....

That's what I love about theatre! We all come to the table with our own unique dishes, working together to create a delicious feast for the senses. Bon apetite!

No comments: