Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Subtle Science of Film

Since I've been doing a lot of theatre work this year, I wanted to refresh my film acting "chops," so I started taking Jennifer Rudolph's 4 week Film/TV workshop. Jen has been on my mailing list for all my promos, and when she sent me a note about her workshop, it seemed like a good place to dive on in. And it really is!

Last night we worked on dramatic scenes, which reminded me of the short film I did last year called Divine Intervention. With the camera right on your face, a little goes a long way, so there's no need to be larger than life. Theatre demands an extra amount of fireworks and energy while film is so wonderfully subtle. Just breathing, being present, letting the writer's words guide you (and there are SUCH wonderful writers out there)... its such a pleasure!

I was also reminded of something another acting teacher had told me, that every scene is a love scene. I noticed this in all of the scenes last night. Even though there was a great deal of conflict with various characters fighting and families and friends at odds, all of these scenes had humanity and heart and small touches of humor. Good writing, as I said. And I marveled at how art expands our hearts and our minds.

It is so cool to be doing this, to be finding freedom and truth and inspiration in my art... in all of its forms! From film and TV to music and theatre. Follow your muse!

No comments: