Friday, November 16, 2007

Back in the Habit

I have been so fortunate this year to get to revisit and perform 2 characters from my past whom I absolutely adore. First was Rita in the Ahrens/Flaherty musical, Lucky Stiff, a tornado of a character with a killer sense of humor and perspective. Stepping into her stiletto high heels this summer allowed me to click down a path that I had travelled two years prior, and it was exciting to find new aspects to this character. It was like going on an archaeological dig to a site I’ve been to before, having a good sense of the terrain, but finding marvelous new treasures.

Now I’m back in rehearsals for The Tragic and Horrible Life of the Singing Nun, prepping for the Bound for Broadway Concert December 3rd, and I am so thrilled to get back into the habit of Jeanine aka Sister Smile, the Singing Nun. The show is a fun mix of fact and fantasy, and it’s a great tale of this woman’s journey to find spirituality, love and acceptance. Really big themes. And the 3 scenes/songs we’re doing for the concert give a nice preview of the show as a whole.

Since Sister Smile was a real person, I’ve been going back to my notes, reacquainting myself with her. In rehearsals, it’s all coming back very quickly, because I’m remembering what I had learned about Jeanine when I did the show last year, and finding a new understanding as well. Digging deep. I love it!

Everyone has been remarking on how much “heart” there is in this show. There is a lot of broad humor and irony, but most importantly, are the matters of the heart. And the music pulses with that beat... which is wonderful!

No comments: