Thursday, January 25, 2007

You know you’ve made some progress when people start asking you, “How did you do it?”

I have been the lucky recipient of this question a few times this week and it’s been a bit of a surprise. I guess it shouldn’t be, because I’m always at work on my craft, always thinking, “What else can I do to make my work better?” Whether it’s in a song or a monologue or my physical workout (since my body is my instrument I have to keep it in tune). I am often reminded that as much as I look ahead, I also need to savor the moment as well as give myself kudos for the leaps I’ve made.

This week I was at a birthday party for a dear friend who has ties to much of the Broadway world, and the party made me think very much of the NYMF gala, because the room was full of established Broadway people (from stars to directors and casting directors) as well as up-and-comers, and it was so interesting to be in the midst of all that.

A lot of people were buzzing about the work I’d done on “The Tragic and Horrible Life of the Singing Nun,” and that was really cool. It was so great to meet new peeps, reconnect with old acting buddies and to share stories.

The main theme of the evening was the celebration of growth. Very fitting for a birthday party.

And as I go through my day, juggling auditions and life and work and play, I realize how fortunate I am. I have worked hard to get here and I have much farther to go, but it’s such a cool thing when people ask “How did you get to where you are?” It makes me proud of my hard work, knowing that the seeds I’ve planted have taken root and are growing.

No comments: