Monday, October 19, 2015

Livin' the Dream

When I was a kid, I LOVED "The Wizard of Oz." I could quote it on the playground, and I always pretended I was Dorothy. What kid didn't? ;)


When I was old enough to audition for the community theatre production, I of course was cast as a munchkin. But when I hit high school, our incredibly hip drama teacher teamed up with the music teacher, who LOVED funk, and they picked, "The Wiz." I passionately listened to Stephanie Mills, rocked on with her riffs, and somehow got the role of Dorothy! But in "The Wiz," Dorothy's slippers are silver, just as they are in Frank. L Baum's books. But I didn't care as I eased on down the road! ;) It was a blast!

Now I'm playing Judy Garland in the Off Broadway musical, "Hell's Belles," and the costume designer, Dustin Cross, made me my own pair of ruby slippers. I am livin the dream! :)






No comments: