Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Keep Up with Your Studies!

Have you ever noticed the potential to learn something else every day? I've been acting professionally since I was 14, and I love that I'm learning more about this craft, more about myself and what I can bring to the table of any project every day.

This past month has been full of good growth! I took some workshops with casting directors from CBS and NBC, and both workshops gave me the opportunity to strengthen my cold reading skills. I also realized this is something I can do even when I'm not in class. Just grab a script and go! 

Working with Tim Phillips' technique of "Sherlock Holmsing the Text," helped me take this up a notch. Tim teaches in NY every month, and I had the pleasure of working with him last month. He teaches in LA regularly, so if you can study with him, Go! Go! Go! His book is incredibly helpful.


Lastly, I've been in rehearsals for JAWS the Musical, which has been such a gift! The writer and cast are all UCB / PIT alumni, and so the funny factor is constantly going. Talk about getting a workout!



(L-R Wayne Henry, Jason Salmon, me, Suzanne Stein and John Flynn)

It is such a pleasure to play with this talented bunch and to sing such great songs! I've got a gorgeous power ballad in the last half of the show, and I just love it!

It's so clear to me the more you do something, the stronger you get. And the more open you are to learning something new, the more joyous the experience.

Every working actor I know keeps up their studies, whether they're in or out of a show, and I admire them all! I'm in good company! :)

No comments: