Friday, February 25, 2011

Work It Out!

Being an actor is like going to the gym. Not only does it help to go to the gym to keep your body in shape, but you have to keep your audition repertoire in shape, and that means Working it Out! 


I've been keeping my voice in shape for musical auditions. I had to belt a lot of high E's this week, but I can belt high G's so an E is a piece of cake. Still, I gotta be in voice for that.

I've also been monologuing songs to be up to snuff with my acting of musical works, and I've been rehearsing my usual monologues for all the non-musical auditions.

I love "re-hearing" the character through trying different stuff (thanks, Carol Fox Prescott, for teaching that rehearsals are just for that purpose). Even in auditions, I feel like I can really "hear" the characters through the playwright's words, and I am so grateful to all my acting teachers, particularly Karen Kohlhaas and Josh Pais, for giving me the tools to do this.

While rehearsing my usual pieces, I've also been expanding my repertoire by reading, reading, reading! I'm currently in the midst of "The Fifth of July" by Lanford Wilson and "August Osage County" by Tracy Letts.

I've also been reading The Intent to Live by acting teacher Larry Moss, and it is INCREDIBLE! If you're an actor, do yourself a favor and get this book. He has some awesome acting exercises in it, and explains things from such a accessible point of view.


Most importantly... I'm enjoying the ride. I love being immersed in this work, learning and growing every day. It's a blast!

No comments: