Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Sookie Stackhouse series

I must confess... I'm a True Blood fan.


My friend, Lisa, first tipped me off to the "Dead" books by Charlaine Harris a few years ago. I loved the notion of a telepathic waitress in Louisiana, surrounded by vampires who were "out" in society. They're delicious books, and I heartily recommend them!

I had already read most of the Sookie Stackhouse books by 2008  when I started to see True Blood posters all around Manhattan.


At first I thought some savvy drink company had bought the rights to TruBlood, Ms. Harris' marvelous concept drink in the book. But then when I found out HBO was making the books into a series, I was delighted!

Like any fan of the novels, I was particularly protective of my vision of the characters, but once I let go of that and just had fun with Alan Ball's concept of the story, I really enjoyed the show.

This season has got to be my favorite!

The mounting sexual tension between Bill, Sookie and Eric (played with great passion by Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin, and Alexander Skarsgard) is a yummy triangle.

 And I love characters like Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll), who is unique to the TV show and is not found anywhere in the books.
 

Her love story with Hoyt (Jim Parrack) is so Romeo and Juliet. Just lovely!

All the characters are a treat!

Pam (Kristin Bauer) and Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) are my favorite "wild cards."


Pam's character in particular is wonderfully close to the book, and I love her dry wit: "Blah, blah, vampire emergency, blah!"

And my favorite actor this season has got to be Denis O'Hare as the ego-maniacal vampire King, Russell Edgington.

A versatile theatre actor, this man knows just how far to push the envelope with this psychotic villain. I love his work, and I can't wait to see what he does next!

The whole show is a great big summer beach ball of fun! :)

No comments: