Monday, August 30, 2010

First Time Winners

Last night, the EMMY's were filled with big stars, some of whom had received the award before like Edie Falco, one of my favorite actresses, who had won years before for her portrayal of Carmela Soprano. I was thrilled that she was recognized for the excellent work she's been doing on Nurse Jackie. She is such a great actress to learn from just watching!


And The Daily Show with Jon Stewart won for the seventh year in a row! Way to go!


But the thing that really warms my spirit are first time winners like David Strathairn for his sensitive portrayal of Professor Carlock in HBO's movie Temple Grandin.


He plays a science teacher who recognizes a young woman's keen insights into math and science despite her autism, and he mentors her along the way.

As I've said before, a great teacher can make all the difference in helping a person overcome the odds.


Strathairn has always been an incredible character actor, easily disappearing into roles from villians to heroes. I believe he's most well known for his portrayal of Edward R. Morrow in Good Night, and Good Luck.



HBO's movie about Temple Grandin also received awards for Best Made for TV movie, Best Direction of a movie/miniseries, Best Actress (Claire Danes) and Best Supporting Actress (Julia Ormond, another first time Emmy Winner, whom I've always loved on the big screen). I saw this show in the winter and was absolutely bowled over by this terrific production about the real-life Temple Grandin and how she came up with a more humane treatment of animals and livestock. It's a must-see!


Congrats to both Temple Grandin and Claire Danes and all the EMMY winners! :)

And I have to give a nod to one of my favorite comic actresses: Jane Lynch for playing the acid-tongued Sue Sylvester on Glee.


I've enjoyed Jane's work since I first caught her on Christopher Guest's Best in Show, and her turn as an "adult entertainer" turned folk singer in A Mighty Wind is a must-see! She's also wonderfully moving as Julia Childs' sister, Dorothy, in Julie and Julia.

Congrats again to all the winners and nominees. Great work, everyone!

No comments: