Monday, May 10, 2010

A Work in Progress

My brother, the drummer, recently told me about the "unfinished artists" he was studying in Art History class. Apparently some painters would purposely leave pieces of their canvas exposed.

Georges Braque kept "parts of his canvases purposely unpainted... as a textural effect adding to the artistic composition as a whole."

This makes me think of acting, how my work as an actor is a work in progress. I strive to do the best I can always, and as I look back on my career, I see good growth. But I often would like to do something... "more."

I've heard some playwrights mention that each play feels unfinished, that there is always more to tell, and perhaps that's what propels them onto the next play.

We are constantly learning and growing, choosing which "paints" we want to use on the "canvas" of our art.

No comments: