Monday, May 24, 2010

Reprising a Role

It is such a rare treat to reprise a role. I've done it once before. When I first arrived in the city, I was cast as Rita LaPorta in the Off Off Broadway revival of the Ahrens and Flaherty musical, Lucky Stiff.

A few years later I was offered the same role in a stellar production at Mason Street Warehouse.

Now, I'm getting ready to reprise the roles of Judy Garland and Janis Joplin in a staged reading of the musical, Hell's Belles.

The show is about a nightclub in Hell, and the entertainers are some of history's most infamous women, including Salome, Ma Barker, Eva Peron, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, and more!

(Deb Radloff as Bette Davis and me as Joan Crawford)

Most of the cast is back from the last production, including myself, Deborah Radloff, and Alicia Sable.

Omri Schein (above with Alicia Sable) plays the devilish master of ceremonies, and Clare Cooper absolutely rocks out on the keyboard.

It has been such a pleasure to dive back into these larger than life characters, and I'm certainly glad I kept all my research notes, because it's definitely helped me slip back into their shoes!

I've enjoyed re-watching old interviews on Janis Joplin, Judy Garland and Joan Crawford, making new discoveries about these women I thought I knew. There's always more to discover!

By far, Janis and Judy are my favorites, and ironically, Janis was called "The Judy Garland of Rock." There are so many interesting parallels!

If you're in NY, the show is being done as a free 45 minute presentation at Ha! Comedy Club this Wednesday May 26 at 6 PM and Thursday May 27th at 2 PM.

Contact HellsBellesNY@gmail.com for more info.

No comments: