Friday, September 11, 2009

To Serve and Protect

This morning, on my way to sign up for auditions, I passed a group of policemen assembled at Columbus Circle. They all stood at attention while one fellow held the American flag and another officer read the names of their comrades who had passed away 9 years ago at the World Trade Center. I caught them just as they were finishing the list of fallen heroes, and they bowed their heads for a moment of silence.

I stopped as well and bowed my head, thinking of all the people who were lost in that tragedy.

A few other pedestrians stopped as well, and I thought, "Wouldn't be it amazing if everyone stopped at the same time to pay their respects?"

And some people actually stopped and bowed their heads, but a lot of people still zoomed by us on their way to work, and I too, had to leave as well.

Of course, I'm still thinking of those warriors, standing so tall, hoping they are strong and brave and true. In this cynical world, it seems there are some folks who constantly preach negativity and seek to undermine others, but when I think of all the officers, fire-fighters and medical personnel who lost their lives trying to save others on 9-11-01, I am overcome with the good that can manifest in humanity.

And I have hope.

Blessed be.

No comments: