Monday, September 29, 2008

Portraits of Artists

"To live, to err, to fall, to triumph, to recreate life out of life!"

I love in Woody Allen's Bullets Over Broadway how John Cusack's struggling writer keeps going back to the question, "Do you love the art in the man or the man in the artist?"

That sense of integrity was never clearer than in Paul Newman's works as an actor and humanitarian. He and his wife Joanne Woodward always made me think of me and my longtime sweetheart, especially with the sentiment, "I have steak at home. Why go out for hamburger?"
Paul Newman will certainly be missed. His work lives on.

It makes me appreciate the people around me. I have been so fortunate to be surrounded by such wonderful people who happen to be artists. :) And the internet makes it that much easier to connect with folks from all over the world. That never ceases to amaze me!

My childhood friend, Kara Herold, who is taking the documentary film to a whole new level, will be showing her piece, Bachelorette 34 at the Mill Valley Film Festival. I can't wait til she brings this film from San Fran to the Big Apple. Rock on, Kara!The Herb Sisters, Tina and Maryanne, are in the midst of a wholesale fair in PA - kind of like the major wholesale events that are held at the Javitz Center, but this is in Lebanon, PA. The Sisters are showcasing their incredible soapworks. I am so proud of them!

And this week is the closing week for Johnny On A Spot. Gosh, I'm gonna miss that crew! It has been so magical to do this show, to be growing as an actor, listening to my fellow actors and going with the ebb and flow of the audience's responses. Whether it's laughter or a gasp - one audience member even said, "Uh oh" when my feisty character is told "no" - everyone has responded to it very strongly.
(Pictured with Carter Roy)

One of the things I've loved about this show is the length of the run - 5 weeks! Some Broadway shows don't even last that long! But The Peccadillo Theatre Company has really given us the chance to spread our wings. It's been lovely!

1 comment:

Tina Sams said...

You and Robbie have always reminded me of the Newmans too. You two rise above.
I want to see that documentary! Just that one picture makes me very curious.
And you look so lovely in character, Laura. You feisty wench - lol!