Thursday, April 17, 2008

Birthday blessings

It's my birthday week and I've been inundated with blessings and love from friends and family. My sweetheart has kept me smiling with his unending rendition of "Happy Birthday," which was inspired by my nephew's 2nd birthday party. My nephew is also an Aries and he loved being sung to so much that he kept asking us to light his big "2" candle and sing to him again: "Light! Again!" And I just totally got where he was coming from. Who wouldn't want to be serenaded over and over?

Maybe it's an Aries thing. :)

I've greatly enjoyed all the serenades that have come my way this week, and I'm so grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. As I make my way through each day, it's the friends and loved ones who make the journey that much more enjoyable.

In other news, I booked a role in Mark Altman's adaptation of Isaac Bashevis Singer's short story, The Unseen. The play is called Sin, and we're doing a reading of it next Wednesday 4/23 at 2 PM at the 78th Street Lab. It's an interesting morality tale and should be a nice stretch for my acting muscles. I play a demon "cursed with a sensitve soul."

It's funny - it just hit me that last year around this time, I had auditioned at the same theatre for a role in Arlene Hutton's beautiful Nibroc Trilogy, Gulf View Drive. The playwright herself was at the audition and she was so gracious. The play of course was already cast with actors who had been with the show almost from the beginning, so Ms. Hutton invited me as her guest to see a performance. What an honor and privilege! And such a good piece of theatre! Haunting and humorous at the same time. Quite a feat!

And here I'll be performing at the Lab in a darkly humorous piece next week. What a trip!

No comments: