Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Remembering Benny Reehl

I was sad to learn that the "father of the new vaudeville," Benny Reehl, passed away a few years ago. He was one of my directors at the PA Renaissance Faire when the Faire still had a strong Shakespearean improv troupe, and he directed me in the original show, "Bumble, Rough and Tumble."

Benny was a master at physical comedy and was great at inspiring the cast to explore our characters' full range of physical expression. A great teacher, I still remember him painstakingly teaching me to juggle beanbags, and I LOVED our trampoline work. I remember doing a somersault off the trampoline, and as he spotted me, I accidentally nicked him with my nails, and he said, "Those have to go!" But he was very patient, fun-loving and kind-hearted. He touched my life forever.

Kudos and great respect to a master craftsman:

http://mainearts.maine.gov/news/newsletter/2005-2/reehl.shtml

No comments: