Thursday, November 08, 2012

Kindness and Compassion

It's been a weird couple of weeks, and that's putting it mildly. As "life goes on" here on the East Coast, I can tell many of us New Yorkers are still trying to "find our feet" after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. We're trudging to work, thankful to have jobs to go, but we're all exhausted.


I have two jobs. I'm an actress and I work with an online advertising company below Canal Street. We just got access to the building this week. Everything looks "normal," but you can tell people are still devastated. So many people are still without power, or power is intermittent.

I was called into some auditions this week, and it's been interesting getting to and from places. Thanks to the MTA workers for making things happen so quickly with the subways and trains!


I keep thinking of what Judi Dench said about "acting is a job" and sometimes you don't want to go "out there," but that's your job: to go "out there."And boy, have people been putting themselves out there in amazing ways, donating time, food, clothes, power sources...

Facebook has been helpful because friends and "friends of friends" are shouting out for help or providing it, and we all are sharing the info. There is a definite sense of community.


In Manhattan, people seem to be speaking kinder to each other. I ask everyone I run into - absolutely everyone - if they're ok, how they were affected by the storm, and they look at me in shock, but then we share that "where were you when" moment, and there's a sense of comfort and connection. A little kindness goes a long way!

We all were affected by this terrible disaster, and I am thankful for so much. May we all share kindness and compassion at this time. Every day would be great!

If you or someone you know needs help, US.gov has a ton of links and helpful info.

Take care!


No comments: