Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Looking for Inspiration

I don't have to look far. Inspiration seems to be everywhere.

An actress I worked with years ago, Jennifer Christa Palmer, inspires me with her consistent sense of forging ahead.

The band, Hippie Cream, whom my brother, Sean, drums for, inspires me with their wild and whacky songs. I particularly love their sense of fun-loving reverence for their elders.

Hippie Cream is actually prepping to do a feature length musical film called Marty's Magnificent Day-Glo Dream-a-Thon about a young man trying to save his grandpa via a dream-a thon. If schedules work out, I may play Marty's mom when he dreams about his childhood. Wouldn't that be cool?

I also saw A Behanding in Spokane with my friend Wayne Henry, from Johnny on a Spot, and that show was such a trip! The writing, the symbolism, the easy unique acting of Christopher Walken, and the dynamic presence of Sam Rockwell. Zoe Kazan and Anthony Mackie were also great, and my jaw was on the floor for most of the show. Such a wild piece of theatre!

Yet still I feel like I'm searching...

I guess that's what art is all about, finding our voice, ourselves in it.

Luckily, inspiration keeps coming! :)

I'm on Josh Pais' email list because I'm going to take his Committed Impulse class, and he sent this inspirational blast today about Patsy Rodenberg's speech about "Why I do Theater."

And that of course took me to Anna Deavere Smith's American Character(s).


She's one of my favorite characters/actresses on Nurse Jackie. And this! WOW!

These ladies take me back to something my husband often asks me with my art: "What do you want to say? What story do you want to tell?"

Man, that's powerful stuff!

And I get to choose that with the material I choose for auditions: the songs, the monologues, even scenes/scripts that are sent to me. I get to choose what story I'm going to tell.

I think we just have to be open to it.

It makes me want to write again. Guess I'm getting a nudge in that direction, eh? ;)

Now I'm off to an audition, and I feel so fortunate to be in NY, auditioning in the heart of Broadway, getting the chance to make some magic. :)

No comments: