Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Setting Goals

I love Karen Kohlhaas' classes. I swear, that woman has such a gift for sharing adventures in acting and show business. It is amazing how much is to be learned!

I'm currently taking her Fearless Cold Reading and Audition Technique Class, and I have to tell you, the lessons learned are INVALUABLE!

A portion of last night's class focused on The Agent Interview and the many questions an agent might ask you, including, "Where do you see yourself in 1-3-5 years?"

Now, I've been on a few agent interviews, and only one manager asked this of me, but the thing that resonated with me about all this is the importance of goal-setting.

Karen shared this story about "a study conducted on students in the 1979 Harvard MBA program. In that year, the students were asked, 'Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?' Only three percent of the graduates had written goals and plans; 13 percent had goals, but they were not in writing; and a whopping 84 percent had no specific goals at all.

Ten years later, the members of the class were interviewed again, and the findings, while somewhat predictable, were nonetheless astonishing. The 13 percent of the class who had goals were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84 percent who had no goals at all. And what about the three percent who had clear, written goals? They were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97 percent put together."

So you can bet I'm reassessing and setting up my 1-3-5 year goals. Some advisers will even counsel to have daily, weekly and monthly goals, and it's all good.

I was telling a friend the other day that every audition I hit, every submission I send out, every class I attend, is investing in the bank of Laura, and it feels good to invest in myself and in making my dreams come true.

I hope you are too! :)

No comments: