Thursday, February 12, 2009

Passionate People

Tonight is my last class for the Monologue Workshop at the Atlantic Theatre School, and I feel this bittersweet mix of sadness and excitement. Sad because it's the last class, even though I know many more classes are out there, and I'm excited to partake of those, but still, I'll miss this class. It's been one of those life-changing classes. And it makes me think of that great line from the movie, Yentl (lyrics by Marilyn and Alan Bergman)....

There are moments you remember all your life
There are moments you wait for and dream of all your life

This is one of those moments.

Tonight, I'll be performing 4 monologues for my teacher and classmates, and it's such a thrill, knowing I can do this, that I have built this repertoire of 4 solid pieces in 5 short weeks, and that I can keep going, that I have more to add to my arsenal. I have more to bring to the party, and I love what I have to offer. It's unique.

Going back to Yentl, it's the 25th (really 26th) Anniversary of the film, and I remember watching it as a kid, being inspired by it. What tomboy and musical theatre lover didn't feel the same way?It was on over the weekend, and as I watched it, I noticed things as a woman that I hadn't noticed as a child, and I was especially caught up by how Barbra Streisand directed the film. Her choices of lighting and where she placed the camera for far away shots vs. close-ups. And she acted in it, co-wrote the screenplay and produced it! Talk about wearing many hats! Rock on, Babs!

As I watched the film, I was also struck by the realization that I got to work with the director of the original Broadway production, Robert Kalfin. Bob directed me last year in two staged readings of the play SIN, one of which was with F. Murray Abraham (wow) as Satan! Both SIN and Yentl were short stories written by Isaac Bashevis Singer, which were adapted and turned into plays.

It's easy to imagine a young Barbra Streisand being inspired by the play. In fact, as early as 1968, Ms. Streisand began to work on acquiring the the rights to the story. So for her to get the film out in 1983... talk about a labor of love!

One of my friends from NYU, Jonathan Betzler, a filmmaker in his own right, has been doing video-blogs about the movies from 1983 and Yentl was among his discussions. It's a great review, so check it out on YouTube.
What's wrong with wanting more?
If you can fly - then soar!

With all there is - why settle for

just a piece of sky?

No comments: