Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What a Difference a Year Makes!

It hit me today that it was exactly one year ago that I launched my one woman musical, Love in 35 Minutes, and I feel so good! I've been thinking about writing another one woman show, and I'm taking notes as I go. It feels a lot like planting seeds in a garden or cooking different dishes on a stove. I have to wait and see what sprouts or is "done" first.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying the whole process, and when I think back to last year and all that has come to fruition, I'm just amazed! Like doing Love in 35 Minutes, directed by my dear friend Carl Einbeck, and then going right into The Tragic and Horrible Life of the Singing Nun, working with such amazing people on that piece! Winning the NYMF Award for Outstanding Individual Peformance, meeting all sorts of incredible people at the NYMF Gala, including Broadway stars and producers... Cultivating my craft with awesome people in awesome classes, working on The Onion's Country Music webisode, hitting auditions and seeing casting people and directors respond so powerfully to my auditions, whether it's with laughter, smiles and words of encouragement, or absolute physical reactions like diving onto my resume when I've completed my work. It feels SO GOOD!

Now I'm prepping to go to Mason Street Warehouse to play a character I adore: Rita in the Ahrens & Flaherty musical Lucky Stiff. Not only do I love-love-love the show (I did it at the Astoria Performing Arts Center two years ago), but I also received a note from my mentor, VP Boyle, letting me know he will be Associate Director for the piece, which is awesome!!! Working with VP is like working with Willy Wonka. He's so inventive and intuitive and FUN! He definitely brings magic with him wherever he goes. And I've heard wonderful things about Kurt Stamm, the Artistic Producing Director, as well. A lot of NY actors have nothing but high praise for these two fellows and I'm absolutely delighted to be working with them this summer. Woo hoo!

No comments: