Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The properties of TYPE

I've been doing a lot of homework lately, inspired by Brian O'Neil's "Acting As a Business" and Bonnie Gillespie's Actor's Voice columns on Showfax.com. Throw Harold Guskin's "How to Stop Acting" into the mix, and I feel like I have 3 sage advisors on my team! :)

Lately, I've been exploring my "type," which can be a very effective tool for bringing clarity to one's work. I'm often cast as the quirky young heroine and have been compared to Kristin Chenoweth, Reese Witherspoon, a young Bernadette Peters and Madeline Kahn. A few friends also suggested I have a young Megan Mullally quality and another friend insists I'm a young Bette Midler. I think that's because I have this big personality and big belt voice in a tiny little package. :)

However I'm perceived, I feel a great sense of self, and I love doing what I do. It's a pleasure to sing, create and explore possibilities. I'm diggin the ride.

No comments: