Monday, February 26, 2007

It's not even Spring yet and I'm already a busy bee!

There's snow all over New York, showing that winter is reigning supreme, but my heart and spirit and schedules are more akin to Spring Fever! I've been getting so many calls for audition appointments and workshops for future productions, and it's great!

Yesterday, I recorded the lead role of "Lilly" in a demo for the new children's musical, Lilly's Big Day, and what a treat that was! The music was AWESOME and made me think of fabulous composers like Jule Styne, Irving Berlin and Stephen Sondheim. Just joyous, quality stuff! It was a delight to sing, and it was a thrill to dive into the role of a 4 year old mouse!

A producer once told me I had a great voice for cartoons, and I tell you, after yesterday's experience, I really do want to do more in the voice-over realm. SO MUCH FUN!

The neat thing about doing a recording is that you get to hear the "playback." The sound engineer plays back what you just recorded so you can assess if you need another take/recording, and so it was really neat to just hear the scenes unfold after performing them. It reminded me of voice-over work I'd done for a short film a while back: nothing done in sequence, so the scenes were all crystal clear on their own, but once it was all put together for the final product, wow! Magic!

Our music producer for Lilly's Big Day was Josh Margolis, and he was just great! Carl Danielsen, an actor of great warmth, talent and humor, composed the music and played the teacher, Mr. Slinger. The clever script, adapted from Kevin Henke's book, and the lyrics were written by the lovely Selda Sahin. She also voiced one of the students. Emily Whyte played my mom. Adam Shonkwiler and Emily/Ginger rounded out the cast, and everyone was so sweet and lovely and had such unique voices. It was a thrill to do this recording with them, and I look forward to our further adventures.

No comments: