Friday, June 06, 2008

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Such an interesting time! I just don't even know where to begin....

Thinking about world issues, changes happening in America, in art, in my family and friends and in myself. It seems like such a time of transformation, and I love it!

I was thinking today as I walked out of the subway, How cool is it that I'm in NY, cultivating my dreams? Having opportunites to audition for incredible new pieces, being in this great Big bountiful Apple where works of art are absolutely everywhere! Being able to do prime research at great facilities like Lincoln Center's New York Public Library for the Performing Arts. Being part of the Actors Equity Association and the Screen Actors Guild, knowing my unions are looking out for my rights as a performer. Knowing there are incredible teachers all over this city. Getting the chance to see all this great theatre on Broadway! And getting to perform new pieces in lovely little theatres in the city, working my way towards performing on Broadway.

I saw Cry-Baby on Wednesday night with my sweetheart and some of his co-workers from Godiva were there, and we all had a great time! The musical is based on John Waters' film with Johnny Depp, and I had heard such mixed things about that show, but I am happy to report it's a LOT of fun. Any show that has a song titled, "Can I Kiss You (With Tongue)?" is gonna be funny. I laughed and laughed and really enjoyed myself. And it's been a while since I've been that tickled by a Broadway show, so I was greatly encouraged.

A fellow Californian was in the show, Alli Mauzey, and she was an absolute scene-stealer. VERY funny. And I thought.... Yeah! :)

She said in an interview that "Whenever I'm thinking of new things to try, I go, What would John (Waters) do?" And I get such a kick out of that because I've always enjoyed his irreverent sense of humor in his films. I was a fan of the movie "Hairspray" before it was a musical then movie musical. And as an artist myself, seeking to burst out, I love that sense of abandon and non-censorship. Yeah! Let it out!

I'm also reading this really yummy book on The Monologue Audition by Karen Kohlhaas and right off she focuses on what you can and cannot control in an audition and it makes me think so much about life. What can we control and what do we need to let go of? It's awesome to take a look at that stuff! And I love diving into some of my favorite writers, working on new material and old and making marvelous discoveries.

"Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
For the times they are a-changin'."
- Bob Dylan

No comments: