Monday, June 02, 2008

Between the Swells

When a show is done and that high of performing has subsided, it's time to create anew, to get out to auditions and classes, work on your own pieces, reflect on what you have done and what you want to do. It's what my friend Tina calls "being between the swells."

This reminds me of those old sayings of "getting back on the horse" or being "back in the saddle again." I'm from the West so I dig the horse-riding metaphor. Brings out the cowgirl in me.

But I especially love the idea that tackling show business is a lot like surfing. You grab your surfboard and run from the hot sand into the cresting waves, swimming against the current to get out to a real sweet spot. Then you navigate the waters as best you can and look around to see which wave you can catch for an absolutely fantastic ride. Sometimes you miss it. Sometimes you wipe out. But more often than not, you can catch even a smaller wave and have an exhilirating ride, something that tickles, thrills and delights you to no end. I love that!

But sometimes there is this moment "in between" where you simply sit out there, in the midst of the ocean, riding the swells. And I used to buck it, feeling impatient for the next big wave, but I really dig it now, having this time to assess and survey and take stock. It's very cool.

And we all deserve a chance to catch our breath, to be in that fantastic sway of the rhythm of life. Ebb and flow. And then..... before you know it, it's time to go! :)

1 comment:

Tina Sams said...

The bigger the trough, the bigger the wave. Hang ten, baby!