Friday, April 08, 2011

A Tale of Two Wolves

(From Jack Plotnick's site, New Thoughts for Actors: The Power of Thought: "Focus on the Positive.")

One day, a grandfather was talking to his grandson.  "There are two wolves living inside my head," he told the boy.

Naturally, the boy was alarmed to hear this. 

The grandfather explained that, "One wolf is angry, vicious and full of fear, while the other one is loving, sweet and playful. And they are at war."

Fearfully, the boy asked, "Which one will win?"

To which the wise grandfather replied, "The one I feed."


"We all have two wolves in our head.  We all have an ego/vulture and our true (loving) voice. The negative or the positive;  which one will you feed?"
- Jack Plotnick

If you haven't visited Jack's site yet, do yourself a favor and GO! It's a treasure trove!

I love this parable, because for me it has double-meaning. Wolves are considered to be "the pathfinder, the forerunner of new ideas" in the American Indian culture. "Wolf medicine empowers the teacher within us to come forth and share knowledge." Also, Wolf teaches us to "see your teacher within (yourself)... Look for teachings no matter where you are."
- Jamie Sams and David Carson

This is ironic because I'm starting 2 new classes next week: a comedy class at The Pit and a musical theatre class with Alaine Alldaffer (Playwright's Horizons). I'm excited about both, and I feel that message, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

I also feel the yen to get my own work out there in the form of a one woman show and short films for YouTube. I also have a webseries I'd like to film for some friends, which will be a learning process unto itself. :)

So.... I 'm ready!

Endless thanks to Jack Plotnick for sharing so many wonderful lessons and discoveries!

No comments: