Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Power of a Good Book

With the invention of Kindle and other electronic book-keepers, I must stand out in the crowd, toting around the hard-cover book, Bossypants by Tina Fey. Not only is the cover an eye-grabber, but it's so different from the electronic devices most people are hunched over in the subway.


I was tempted to call this blog, "The Power of Tina Fey," because I've had more strangers ask me about this book, and it's neat because there's been no limit of age, race, or gender regarding the people who've expressed interest in this book. I feel like this book creates a sense of harmony and unity through humor. 

Two gals on the subway made my ride home very entertaining, asking me about the book and talking about the movie "Date Night." They couldn't remember the leading man in that movie, so I happily told them it was Steve Carell, who is a favorite of mine.

One gal said she wanted to read Bossypants while the other said she was more into thrillers. I should've said, "Well, Tina Fey's exploits at summer camp were definitely thrilling! Lots of teen angst!...Or the story of her getting Oprah on 30 Rock while juggling her Sarah Palin impersonation was a rollercoaster ride!" But I had to get off the train.

Still, I have to tell you, it's a very fun read! The stories from her childhood, stories of her parents, it's easy to relate to. And as a performer myself, it was inspiring to read of her growth as an improv performer with Second City to a writer/performer for SNL, and of course, her adventures at 30 Rock.

There are also some wonderful gems like "The Rules of Improvisation That Will Change Your Life and Reduce Bellyfat." Since I'm working on sketch comedy with The People's Improv Theatre (the PIT), it has special meaning to me:

1) AGREE and "respect what your partner has created." Can you imagine what an awesome world it would be it we all agreed to help each other instead of saying, "No, we can't do that."
2) Say "YES, AND," which means, "Don't be afraid to contribute. Your initiations are worthwhile."
3) MAKE STATEMENTS instead of apologetic questions. No one wants to go to a surgeon who says, "I'm going to be your surgeon?"
4) THERE ARE NO MISTAKES, only opportunities. "In improv, there are no mistakes, only happy accidents."
And I'm going to add this one:
5) NO LIMITS! Everyone has something to contribute. Everyone has ideas. There are enough roles and enough shows for everyone. And the cool thing is, you can make your own show! So don't be afraid to play and put your work out there.

It's like climbing the ladder to jump off the high dive. Don't be afraid to jump in!


Come on in! The water's fine! :)

No comments: