Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Resurgence of the 60s

Is it just me or is there a resurgence of the '60s going on?

This past week, I've had 3 projects come up that are all based on people, music, and/or books from the 60s. It's really fascinating to me, and I'm wondering what it all means. Perhaps a spirit of revolution and expansion... or new beginnings... Either way, I'm enjoying it! :)

I have an audition tomorrow for a new musical based on the '60s girl group The Shaggs. Their story and their music is so fascinating. My brother, the drummer for Hippie Cream, would probably dig it because it's so raw.


As Susan Orlean wrote, "The music is winsome but raggedly discordant pop."

My favorite review, just for the humor of it, is from Rolling Stone, which said they sounded like "lobotomized Trapp Family singers." But RS later called the girl group "priceless and timeless" in 1980, and re-introduced The Shaggs to the world. In fact, 2 of the members were still rocking in 2003.

I understand why some folks saw/see them as revolutionary. Their lyrics, all songs written by Dorothy (Dot) Wiggin, are filled with '60s teen angst:

"It doesn't matter what you do, it doesn't matter what you say, there will always be one who wants things the other way."


And speaking of '60s teen angst, I'll be recording a song from The Tragic and Horrible Life of the Singing Nun, a musical I performed in at the New York Musical Theatre Festival a few years ago. The show won quite a few awards, including the NYMF Award of Excellence for Outstanding Individual Performance for me. That was such an honor!


I'm thrilled to revisit this role and record one of the songs from the show, beautifully written by Andy Monroe.

And my last piece of '60s stuff comes from a book that was suggested to me. I can't divulge too much about it because it's the basis for a new play, so I don't want to trespass on the playwright's privacy. But I have to say, I'm blown away by some of the beautiful words, thoughts, and ideas that came out of the '60s.

So I'll leave you with this thought from The Beatles:

You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We'd all love to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution

Well you know
We'd all love to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Don't you know it's gonna be alright

No comments: