Thursday, December 11, 2008

When Robbie met Laura

One of my first paid acting gigs was working in the professional acting company for the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. It was the first and only year they came to Los Angeles to hire some of their actors, because the directors for that season were from LA. I'd just finished doing Educating Rita at the Palace West Playhouse, so I was all geared up for more British lit. Besides, Shakespeare was a fave. I'd done a few scenes as Miranda from The Tempest and Kate from The Taming of the Shrew in acting class, so I was excited to learn more.

Training at the Faire was intense. We were taught Shakespeare and improvisation from some of the best coaches in New York, stage combat from certified fight trainers from LA, and Elizabethan customs, manners and history from the PA dramaturges. It was a lot like college, but with the bonus of getting paid to do what I loved.

Many of the friends I made there have become life-long companions, including the love of my life, Robbie. He was cast as the comic villain, Cardinal Synne, and I played a little thief named Polly. We both sang, so we were cast in the musical shows as well - Madrigals and Bawdy Ballads - and we became fast friends.

One of my favorite movies at that time was When Harry Met Sally, and over the years this film has made me think of aspects of Rob and me, because we're friends who fell in love. As Harry says in the movie, "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

December always feels like our month, because we consider the first week our anniversary. And today is his birthday! Happy Birthday, honey! Thank you for sharing this life-ride with me! Each moment is magical!
Love,
Laura


No comments: