Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Unconventional Christmas Tales and Homemade Holiday Gifts

I've always taken "the road less traveled," and I'm always delighted when I meet others along the way. For example, I love the holidays and will indulge in all the traditional holiday fare, but I also LOVE the quirky and unconventional stuff that is inspired by this time of year.

Right now I'm reading LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. It's wonderfully funny, irreverent, and yes, spiritual and beautiful. Really thought-provoking stuff in the midst of absurd humor.

I'm also reading the play, Well, by Lisa Kron and it's such a neat insight into health, family, community, Judaism, and a solo performer as she tries to navigate her first play with other actors involved. I highly recommend it, though it does come with several warnings such as "returning to parent's house may result in sudden bouts of immaturity." An excellent piece!

In the film/TV realm, I greatly enjoyed Fred Claus last night as I wrote our holiday cards. Vince Vaughn is such a master comedian and I loved the rest of the cast! Paul Giamatti is a lovely St. Nick, and I was thrilled to see some of my favorite British actors like Miranda Richardson (you HAVE to see her as Queen Elizabeth in the Black Adder series) and Rachel Weisz.

Speaking of the UK, a new favorite in our household is "The Hogfather," based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld books which mix magic, scifi, ancient lore and good ol' British humor into a wonderful cauldron of fun! It's what happens when the Hogather, a Father Christmas-like character, goes missing, so Death takes over the holiday in an effort to keep the spirit alive. It's great fun, a little macabre, and quite philosophical as well.
Last but not least, I must point to one of my favorite sites, The Essential Herbal and the daily homemade gift ideas Tina is posting. These are some AWESOME gift ideas - from simmering potpourris, to eye-pillows and sachets, incense, oils, cooking recipes. Sounds simple but it is SUMPTUOUS stuff!

1 comment:

Tina Sams said...

Thanks Laura, 11 days to go :-).