Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Reflections on Rock
or The Evolution of Laura Daniel

I just finished VP Boyle's Pop/Rock Workshop, and I feel absolutely reborn! The homework was awesome: listen to rock, look at rockstar style, and play play play!

I am reminded of the film, School of Rock, but this class was for musical theatre performers who needed to expand their skillset for the current explosion of pop rock musicals. It was a BLAST! I watched all of my classmates go from straight-laced musical artists to sexy soul-singers, and it was a pleasure to bloom with them.

I think the most startling realization of all was that, like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, I had the power all along. :)

I was reminded so fiercely of my early musical career where I played Dorothy in The Wiz. Unusual casting, I know, but I became known as The White Girl with Soul. And later when I was cast as Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, people were astounded at the rockin roar that would come out of me.

Even recently with The Singing Nun I found myself serenading the audience with 60s pop in the midst of a dark musical comedy.

So I'm bringing "Sexy Back" to myself, and I'm having so much fun! The cherry on the cake is that my auditions have become this free-spirited raucous romp! At last Friday's RENT audition, the creative team were generous with praise and excitement about how much they liked what I did. So if people are having fun with me, I know I'm on the right path. Rock on!




1 comment:

Jess said...

Thats really great. When other people give good feedback you have to figure something is going right.