Monday, November 20, 2006

The New York Musical Theatre Festival Gala - Part Two

After checking in with the gracious NYMF staff, we left the lobby and entered the theatre itself, which had been transformed into a gorgeous dining setting. Round tables covered with linen and fine place settings... everything just the picture of beauty and elegance!

We took our seats and I found my dinner mates to be absolutely delightful!
On my left were Charlie and Gary Maffei of Maffei Productions, who quickly took me under their wings. Charlie kept me laughing, because he kept comparing my picture in the program as The Singing Nun to my glitzed-up gala self. "What a transformation!" he said.

Charlie introduced me to Jeff Hiller, who was also receiving The Outstanding Individual Performance Award for his work in the musical The Children. They all were the epitome of delight, and I hope our paths cross again soon.

On my right was director Elizabeth Lucas, who was simply lovely. We discovered a mutual admiration for Janis Joplin and had plenty to chat about.

I also met the playwright and producer, JB Edwards, who was a fascinating fellow. We discussed our love for funny screen sirens of the 40s.

Once everyone was settled, Kris Stewart, the executive director of the New York Musical Theatre Festival, took to the stage to welcome everyone. Originally from Australia, Kris started NYMF three years ago and has been making great strides in the NY theatre industry. He was quite charming, and I was thrilled to meet him and his executive producer, Isaac Hurwitz (pictured below with Anthony Rapp), when they later came by our table.

After supper, I went back into the lobby to gather with the other award winners as we were guided backstage for the presentation. Anthony Rapp from RENT fame was there and I was so delighted that he would be introducing us onstage. What a lovely person!

There were a bunch of winners, some of whom were established Broadway folks, while some of us are making our way to Broadway, and there was a wonderful sense of camaraderie.

The awards show was hosted by Bob Martin from The Drowsy Chaperone, and Sutton Foster and Beth Leavel performed a song as introduction. There were also performances by the cast of [title of show] and I had to laugh because I had auditioned for the replacement cast for that show, but obviously they're still going strong.

Speaking of auditions, Franis Kelly, producer of Smoking Bloomburg, was also backstage to receive the "Best of the Fest" audience prize for that musical (Singing Nun came in 2nd), and he congratulated me, saying how he remembered me in the initial NYMF auditions.

I also received lovely kudos from Scott Brown, who won Excellence in Musical Theatre Writing (Book) for Gutenberg the Musical. He had said that he had seen The Singing Nun, which was amazing considering his busy schedule, and he said how much he enjoyed the humor, darkness and the lovely "heart" of our show. That meant a lot to me.

Once I was called onstage to receive the award for Outstanding Individual Performance, it all flew by so fast. Anthony Rapp announced all of the winners, and we received wondrous applause. Then we returned to our seats to enjoy the rest of the show.

A beautiful ballet from Common Grounds was showcased and was gorgeous! There was also a freestyle rap tribute to Kevin McCollum by In the Heights writer and star Lin-Manual Miranda, who performed with co-Freestyle Love Supreme member Chris Sullivan (Shockwave). They were phenomenal! And both pieces impressed upon me the incredible diversity of musical theatre, that any type of music can be utilized for this expressive forum.

The final performance was a special version of the song "Show Off" featuring Brian D'Arcy James (as Kevin McCollum) and the cast of The Drowsy Chaperone. It was hysterical! And then the guest of honor, Broadway producer Kevin McCollum took the stage and had some "notes" for all involved. He started his speech as a funny tongue-in-cheek sort of thing that soon blossomed into a heartfelt thanks for every artist that "shows up" to make theatre happen. That was truly inspirational.

Then the evening came to a close and we all made our way to the lobby again. I was greeted and congratulated by so many wonderful people. It was heart-warming! And my Singing Nun producer George DeMarco and composer/lyricist Andy Monroe were also there with hugs and congratulations. We bid our good-byes to Kris Stewart (pictured above with Kevin McCollum and wife Lynette) and I thanked the NYMF team, but the accolades kept coming my way until I had my coat and left the theatre.
It all was a dream-come-true!





No comments: