Friday, November 17, 2006

My first awards gala was last Sunday night and I'm still on Cloud 9!

The New York Musical Theatre Festival hosted the event, and it was their "first" too! :) Isaac Hurwitz, the Executive Producer for NYMF, called me a few weeks prior to give me the good news that I would be receiving NYMF's Award of Excellence for Outstanding Individual Performance for my role as the title character in The Tragic and Horrible Life of the Singing Nun. So I had a few weeks to prepare.

I consulted Singing Nun costume designer Bobby Pearce and he said, "You can't go wrong with a classic black dress." My musical theatre coach, VP Boyle, was also instrumental in pointing me in the right direction.

I wanted to find a dress that embodied my own sense of style, so when I saw this little black and white satin number, I just knew it was for me! It fit on so many levels and made me feel fabulous! Also it went beautifully with my favorite pair of shoes: classic black Prada heels.

Jewelry was next, but since the dress was so spectacular, I didn’t want to go too crazy, so I was thrilled when I found a pair of pearly earrings that were like dazzling cascades of light. Just the perfect touch!

I also had a black velvet, satin-trimmed purse and coat that fit neatly with the whole ensemble, and I marveled at how getting dressed for a special evening can be an event unto itself!

The day of the gala was misty and gray, wrapping the city in a dreamlike quliaty. I hit the gym in the morning and then enjoyed the afternoon with my boyfriend. When evening came, I took my time getting ready and enjoyed each moment. A girlfriend who moonlights as a makeup artist helped me with my makeup, and I really felt like Cinderella getting ready for the ball.

When I left the apartment to hail a cab, the taxi that stopped for me was one of the newer yellow-orange van-cabs, so I couldn't help but giggle as I stepped into my own pumpkin-like coach.

I zoomed through the streets of Manhattan and arrived at the beautiful Hudson Theatre on 44th Street. When I arrived, the lobby was teaming with people dressed to the nines. It was the meet-and-greet cocktail hour, so everyone was chatting loudly and catching up with each other. I just joined in the fun and introduced myself to everyone I met!

To be continued..... :)

No comments: