Friday, April 14, 2017

Jackie Robinson Day

When I was a kid, I loved sitting with my great-grandpa, listening to Vin Scully call the play-by-plays for the Dodgers. He loved them when they were the Brooklyn Dodgers, and when he moved to LA, he took it as a sign because the Dodgers did too!

Sometimes he'd watch the Dodgers on TV, but I think he preferred to sit in his comfortable chair with a bowl of peanuts, listening to the game on the radio.

By this time, Jackie Robinson had passed on, but I was born on Jackie Robinson Day: April 15th. 


And I thought that was cool, that when I was coming into the world, this great ballplayer had made his major league debut.


My Dad always liked baseball - after all, this was his grandfather (my great-grandpa) - so I imagine he went through the same rituals I did, sitting there with grandpa, listening to the baseball game on the radio.

When I was growing up, Dad would let me round up the kids in the neighborhood so we could play baseball in our backyard. Girls weren't allowed in Little League at the time, so I created my own team! Dad would pitch, chasing after the ball after we'd "knock it out" of the backyard.

I still play catch with Dad when we visit.


And I played catcher for my nephews this past weekend, playing baseball in the backyard.

So I've always loved baseball, and when I saw the movie 42, and learned about Jackie's story, well... I'm glad to share my birthday with this great man. And keep on playing ball! :)


No comments: