Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Audience

One of the things I love about live theatre is the connection that happens with the audience. They are definitely a partner in any live performance!


I feel very fortunate to have had some really magical moments with audiences. When I played Audrey in Little Shop, a little boy begged his mom to meet me at the stage door because he had to "make sure Audrey was ok." :)

 
When I toured with Theaterworks, we played at the Grand Ole Opry, which was seriously amazing. It felt like a rock concert.


From Hell's Belles, I've had people come up to me after the show, swearing I took them through Judy Garland's entire career. Or they'll call out, "Hey Janis!" ;)


With JAWS the Musical, the crowds have been so awesome, just ready to take the ride!
This weekend I performed a song from the show at the Sharkbite Sideshow, which was an incredibly fun burlesque show. The dancers were very talented and had a great sense of humor, and the host, a magician named Cardone, was excellent!

The crowd was made up of a lot of men and women who'd just gotten out of their corporate jobs, ready to unwind at the very trendy R Bar. The entrance to the Sharkbite Sideshow was through giant shark teeth, so that set the tone!


I came on towards the end of the show, and the crowd was just wonderful! I sang the power ballad from JAWS, "At Night He Swims Home to Me," and they went wild! Definite shark lovers! :) A few folks even put up their phones or hands to sway along with me like it was a rock concert. It was so incredibly cool!


I love what I do. :)




No comments: