Monday, May 23, 2011

Support Your Local Artists

Tomorrow night, after rehearsing for my sketch comedy show, I'm going to see a friend and fellow artist, Tracey Gilbert perform her first one woman show, Little Known Facts, at the Laurie Beechman Theatre.


Having worked with Tracey on The Tragic and Horrible Life of the Singing Nun, I know what an exceptional performer she is, and I'm so proud of the work she's done on this solo show. It's going to be a blast!

It makes me think of all the wonderful artists all over the world who are brave enough to put their work out there - like my friend, Chas, who's pursuing an opera career in Berlin, or every cast and crew member I've ever worked with who are making their careers happen... wonderful filmmakers from NYU and PA and CA... incredible musicians... I feel so fortunate to have worked with so many talented people!

There's Andy Monroe and Jack Lechner, who won the Outer Critics Circle Award for the new Off Broadway musical, The Kid, of which I got to perform a few of their early demos.


There's my brother Sean,  in Hemet, CA, who's getting ready for the premier of the independent feature film, Marty's Magnificent Day-Glo Dreamathon, of which I  was delighted to play Marty's dream-mom.


The film will be shown in the historic Hemet theatre on June 17.

And of course, there's the sketch comedy show I'm doing on May 26 with 10 talented performers at The People's Improv Theatre



It's a graduation performance of famous sketches from SNL, Kids in the Hall, Mr. Show, and more, and one of the things I loved about this class is thate very time I entered the studio, the halls were filled with laughter.

Everyone I've invited to the show have been so enthusiastic about it, which makes me smile. But then again, everyone loves to laugh. :)

Hope something fun has tickled you today.

No comments: