Monday, January 07, 2008

Starting the New Year with a Bang!

Does anyone else feel like we've simply zoomed into 2008? I celebrated the New Year in CA with my family and friends, rockin out 2007 with one of my brother's bands, Hippie Cream. This was my first time seeing them live, and if you get the chance to see them, DO IT! Seriously, it was one of the wildest and most enjoyable concerts I've been to in a long time. Completely inventive and fun. Reminded me of some of Oingo Boingo's early stuff. I'll have to post pics and expound their virtues further in another post. :)

Right now, I'm deep into rehearsals for Hell's Belles, "an infernal musical revue." I'm playing Lady Godiva, Salome, Alice B. Toklas, Joan Crawford, Princess Di, Janis Joplin and Judy Garland, to name a few. The music is in the style of each of these characters, and it has been such a treat to research these women and bring them to life. Janis Joplin has always been my rock and roll queen, and it is a thrill to play her. Godiva is a hoot - can't wait to see the costume or lack thereof. And who wouldn't want the chance to play Judy Garland? I get a kick out of the fact that Judy and I have the same height in common: 4'11". There is some incredible footage of her on YouTube. One of my favorites is her duet with Sammy Davis. Though Judy wasn't in good voice for the number, her acting in astounding. Watching her performance of "Smile" is mind-blowingly inspirational!

Here's info for the show: January 16-27 at the West End Theatre on 263 W. 86th Street. Wednesdays - Saturdays 8 PM. Matinees Saturday at 2 PM and Sunday at 3 PM.
If you're in the Big Apple, come on down!

No comments: